WHAT IS SECURED BY DESIGN?
At Bollard Security we take the security of your home seriously. All of our products hold the Secured by Design accreditation.
Established in 1989, Secured by Design (SBD) is the title for a group of national police projects focusing on the design and security for new and refurbished homes, commercial premises and car parks as well as the acknowledgement of quality security products and crime prevention projects. It supports the principles of ‘designing out crime’ through physical security and processes.
Secured by Design works with the industry and test houses to create high level security standards, responding to trends in crime, and has given input on several key standards. The principles of the scheme have been proven to reduce the risk of crime and the fear of crime.
SECURED BY DESIGN: PRODUCT LICENSING SCHEME
Secured by Design member company status is awarded to companies producing security products that pass standards and tests nominated by the police service. The standards and related tests must demonstrate the product effectiveness in preventing or reducing crime, usually by resistance to physical attack.
SECURED BY DESIGN: FACTS & FIGURES
- Secured by Design developments (those using products and materials that meet Secured by Design Standards) are up to 75% less likely to be burgled and show a reduction of 25% in criminal damage.
- The additional cost of using Secured by Design standards in the average home is only around £170.
- The Association of British Insurers has estimated that the introduction of Secured by Design standards across the UK would bring more than £3.2 billion worth of savings to the economy over 20 years.
- Householders who aren’t offered security recommendations after a burglary are 69% more likely to suffer a repeat incident than those who are offered advice.
- High crime is one reason why people move home. One survey noted that 5.3 million people said that concern about crime levels and a desire to move to a safer location was their main reason for moving home.
- The London 2012 Olympic Park and the 2014 Commonwealth Games Village were both awarded full Secured by Design status.
- A study of Glasgow Housing Association properties claimed that there had been a saving of £18,304 in the research area due (in some part at least) to the introduction of SBD.
- SBD installation pays for itself in at the most 2 years in saved costs of crime with two alternative methods of measurement suggesting.
WHAT IS SOLD SECURE
Our telescopic bollards have been awarded the Sold Secure Gold accreditation.
Sold Secure is dedicated to reducing the risk of crime by the assessment of security products. Established in 1992 by Northumbria and Essex Police with the help and backing of the Home Office. Sold Secure is now owned and administered by the Master Locksmiths Association and works from purpose built laboratories just outside Daventry.
The scheme has close ties with a number of constabularies and insurers who provide regular information regarding the methods of theft and the tools utilised by criminals in their areas. This helps to maintain up to date specifications and means security products can be assessed in the light of the risk they are likely to encounter when in use. Now products are tested by a highly motivated team of professional locksmiths under the direction of a small board of directors who meet on a regular basis to administer the scheme and move the process forward in keeping with modern theft methods.
Manufacturers and suppliers can apply to have their products approved by Sold Secure. Products which have been satisfactorily assessed may bear the Sold Secure Quality Mark. Information on these approved products is circulated by Sold Secure to crime prevention officers, insurance companies, the media, the Home Office and the public.
Sold Secure Approval is classified into 3 main categories; Bronze, Silver & Gold. The categories reflect the amount of time per test and the tools that are used and themselves vary depending on what test specification is being used. The higher the grading (Bronze is the lowest) the higher the security provided by the product.Contact Us